Sunday, February 11, 2007

Cold, cold as it gets here in Illinois, I dress in my coveralls, to go out and feed and water my animals. The weather has been, cold, but the word cold doesn't begin to cover just how cold it has been. As I type this, it is a whooping -6 F, and I know the water buckets are frozen. Even though they are the heated type, the ice still covers the top. The horses are made for cold weather, they actually seeem to like it very cold. I understand this, by watching them play in the snow, eat the snow, and yes, mine seem to like to slide in the stuff. Now my poor chickens are not liking the cold as well as the horses. The hens do not like the winter weather, they are all staying in the coop. Every winter, when it gets as cold as it is now, I will hook up a couple of heat lamps, to ward off the very cold nights. Not only does it help to keep the girls warm, it provides some extra light, so they will continue to lay eggs. The real challenge is to collect the eggs, a few times each day, so they won't become frozen. If the eggs are frozen, I will cook them up, shell and all, and feed it back to the hens. Chickens that are layers, need the extra calcium, to help in the formation of the egg. If a flock owner doesn't provide calcium in the form of oyster shell, the hen will draw the calcium from her bones, and that can lead to health troubles, down the road. So a person who goes and just does their chores, without thinking about the best of health for their chickens, can think they are doing the very best by them. In reality they are not doing the very best for their flock. With that being said, I will go and do my chores and keep in mind the health and well being of my girls.

No comments: