Monday, April 06, 2009

What to do when you find a wild duck's nest?

One of our readers recently asked us, What should I do when I find a wild duck's nest? It is quite common to find wild duck nests on your property, especially if you live in a rural area near wetlands frequented by wild ducks.

According to Feathersite, "If you find a wild duck's nest on your property and don't see the mother on the eggs, don't necessarily worry. Ducks lay an egg every day or two until they have a full clutch (usually 8 to 15); only then will the mother start to sit on them. It takes the eggs 28 days to hatch from when she starts sitting all the time. When they hatch, she will soon lead them to a nearby body of water. The father takes no part in caring for the eggs or young." Read more here: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Ducks/BRKDucks.html

If you think wild ducks are cool, wait until you start raising ducks in your backyard! Raising domestic ducks is so fun and so many people think it's a great alternative, or addition, to raising chickens. What do you think?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Homemade Incubators said...

Hey. Your blog here is pretty interesting. I have been on it a lot using various information for my blog. I wonder if you would like to exchange links with my blog which is about egg incubators. Even if you don't want to exchange links, you might find some of my content useful, and you are free to use it, as long as you maintain my links. :)

itadakimasu said...

thank you for you very interesting article. a friend of mine, Henry michel, recently find a duck's nest in his garden and dunno what to do with it. I will promptly tell him the whole story. Kind regards

joHnjohN said...

I also happen to know some dude called Henry Michel, he's dutch but from Irish parents. They named it after a famous soccer coach.
Anwa I think raising ducks seems to be so much fun so i'm thinking about getting some.